Elementary Fire Hall Visit

Elementary students took a trip to the Hay Springs Fire Department this week to learn about fire safety. Volunteer firefighters Matt Anderson, Craig Housh, and Everette Langford were present to teach students about fire prevention and the steps to take in the event of a fire. HSVFD would like to remind all families to review their fire safety plan, check the batteries in their smoke detectors regularly, and have at least one fire extinguisher in their home.

Tree of Love Thank You!

To the community and Security First Bank Employees:

“I so appreciate the goodies bought through the Tree of Love!” — Ms. Paula Holtmeier

“This year’s Tree of Love provided my class with a ton of lined college ruled paper and plenty of mechanical pencils to go around. It makes such a difference when students tell me they don’t have any paper or a pencil to use. I appreciate the Tree of Love so much! Thank you.” — Mrs. Heidi Beguin

“Thank you so much to the Tree of Love. You are all amazing and so appreciated! I feel so blessed to live in a community that takes care of their school and is so generous buying us supplies. WE LOVE you Hay Springs Community!!” — Ms. Meeks and her 4th Graders

“Thank you so much for all the classroom materials! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and generosity! These materials help myself and the students who use them to learn and grow!” — Mrs. Nichole Marcy

“Thank you for your generous donation of a gift card to the library!! This will be great to get some posters and bulletin board materials to display some new content to the students on our new bulletin boards! I appreciate your thoughtfulness and kindness!”

“I would really like to give a BIG THANKS for the laundry basket of goodies I got for PE! Thank you so much, it is very much appreciated!” — Mrs. Rachel Mandelko

“Thank you, thank you, thank you for the tree of love project. It means so very much to be cared for!” — Mrs. Raime Varvel

“Thank you so much for the Tree of Love donations to my 5th grade classroom. Your donation ensures my students have the materials they need to be successful. I truly appreciate your thoughtfulness, generosity, and dedication to our community. Thank you.” — Mrs. Jessie Anderson

“Thank you to the community member who donated cars, seaweed chips, poprocks and ping pong balls to the kindergarten. We have enjoyed learning through our senses. Your donation helps to expand our classroom experiences.” — Mrs. Jessica Mintken

“Hay Springs is truly a remarkable little community. Each year there is a tree of love downtown at the bank and community members can support local teachers by purchasing supplies from the teacher wish list they create.”

“Thank you Hay Springs community and Security First Bank for supporting such a special and unique tradition each year! We truly appreciate it!” — Mrs. Crystal VanderMay

“Security First Staff and Community, thank you so very much for the office supplies and coloring books for our students. I want all of you to know that your generous support is greatly appreciated.” — Mr. Mark Hagge

Reminder: Salute The Troops

Remember, at this week’s September 30th football game, we will be doing our “Salute the Troops” night! All military personnel will receive free entry to the game and a tailgate meal. For everyone else, please consider making a free-will donation at the tailgate party to help send our students to Washington, D.C. this year!

Kindergarten Thank You

Thank you to the community member who bought us seaweed, pop rocks and cars. This week we used our senses and decided that seaweed is gross, and pop rocks make noise in our mouth. We have also enjoyed tracing our letters with the cars. It is truly a blessing to teach in such a great community.

Non-Public Hearing

On September 13, 2021 at 1:00 p.m., a meeting conducted by Sheridan County School District #3 will take place in the Hawks Nest at Hay Springs High School. The purpose of the meeting will be to provide an opportunity for parents and representatives of nonpublic schools to participate in the development of a plan for providing special education services to children with disabilities who attend nonpublic schools and home schools which are within the Sheridan County District #3 for the 2021-2022 school year. Parents of a home-schooled child identified with a disability and attending a nonpublic school within the boundaries of Sheridan County School District #3, are urged to attend. If you have further questions pertaining to this meeting, please contact the office at (308) 638-4434.

COVID Update

The following is the latest up-date from PPHD concerning COVID positive cases:

We have learned that our recommendation for school-aged children identified as close contacts to stay home, does not align with state truancy guidelines; hopefully, more to come from NDE.

We are changing our recommendation based on this information:  Public Health will encourage school-aged household close contacts to wear a mask and monitor for symptoms for 14 days.

Below is our script when we talk to parents with school-aged children identified as a close contact of a household member.

According to DHHS school guidance, school-aged children are required to self-monitor for fever or other symptoms for 14 days.  Public health recommends that your child wear a mask at school for those 14 days.  Your child does not need to stay home unless they develop symptoms or test positive.  If they have symptoms or test positive, they will need to isolate at home.

Adults and younger children will need to quarantine at home.  Vaccinated people do not need to quarantine; they will be asked to mask and monitor for 14 days.

We are sending this information out to parents so you have the latest PPHD guidance. We are finding that some parents are choosing to keep their school-aged children home when there is a positive household contact; we as a school district will support you in that decision. Please keep the school office informed if you have ill family members or positive test results and continue to monitor your children’s temp before they come to school.

See also the Contact Tracing Packet sent to positives that are not school-aged.  As cases increase, we are asking non-school-aged positive cases to notify their close contacts.

Please do not hesitate to reach out to us, or PPHD if you experience confusion, challenges, or need clarity with a situation.  I am sure we can get through another year working together.

Sincerely
Mr. Lechtenberg

Garage Sale

Hay Springs Public School is holding a garage sale on Saturday, August 28th, 2021 from 11:00 AM until 2:00 PM. Please stop by after the Friendly Festival parade and have a look, you never know what kind of treasures you might find! There are many items, too numerous to list(no really, there are all kinds of odds and ends!). Here are a few of the highlights:

18+ all-in-one desks (pictured)
3 teacher desks – various styles
6 filing cabinets
4 media cart/television/vcr combos
7 office chairs
2 lawn mowers, 4 weed eaters – parts/refurbish
12 computer desks – need resurfaced (pictured)
55 gallon terrarium
Milk cooler, steam table
Various electrical boxes, supplies, conduit
High wattage incandescent bulbs (football lights)
Sewing machine
Doorknob/lock sets – including skeleton key style
Various home electronic devices(stereo, vcrs, dvd players, etc.)
Blacklight bulbs
Tractor feed computer paper(antique!)
Under-desk mats
Wood Planers (one pictured)
Drill press (pictured)

• Shop Hawk Shop Clothing and Apparel